Tuesday, April 8, 2008

the Mail online

the Mail online: Global Cooling?: "The world will experience global cooling this year, according a leading climate scientist. The head of the World Meteorological Organisation said La Nina - the weather phenomenon which is cooling the Pacific - is likely to trigger a small drop in average global temperatures compared with last year. The prediction - which follows a bitterly cold winter in China and the Arctic - is prompting some sceptics to question the theory of climate change."
------------------------
Of course, the global warming people say this global cooling has nothing to do with global warming. I have no problem agreeing that there has been a worldwide warming trend. It started in about 1850. I am not so sure about the causes, though. Greenhouse gases, solar activity, and maybe other causes are involved, but the proportions are unclear--not only to me, but to the global warming zealots. The difference is they won't admit that. They are determined to scare people into taking drastic steps, so they won't acknowledge any of the uncertainty on their side of the argument. I have not trusted the environmental movement since I took college biology. We read Paul Ehrlich's The Population Bomb, and I got so depressed that I was ready to jump off a building. Then it turned out that the book was a load of garbage. As the Wikipedia entry says, "A best-selling work, it predicted disaster for humanity due to overpopulation and the "population explosion". The book predicted that "in the 1970s and 1980s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death", that nothing can be done to avoid mass famine greater than any in the history, and radical action is needed to limit the overpopulation."
College students like me were sold this bill of goods as absolute, unquestioned truth by our science teachers. They, like Ehrlich, were full of it up to their eyeballs. And today you'd never know this happened. They have a new hobby horse to ride, and it is called "global warming." I'm hanging onto my winter clothes, thanks just the same. I think I'll be needing them.

No comments: